Sunshine Run

Sunshine Run

Monday, May 7, 2012

A lil part of 1000 Miles

~~~Not your typical blog...these are my thoughts in the moment after my run...and that.is.all.~~~

There is a man named James Mangini that is doing something spectacular for Parkinson's Research (aka CURE). He is running. Running for 30 days until he reaches 1000 miles while detouring at his father's home to pay respect to the man who began this tremendous climb. 
 I became aware of this from the local news and immediately went to my computer to further research this INSANE idea to run 1000 miles. As my computer was warming up, I tried to grasp 1000 miles. How on earth? How fast was he gonna do this? Is this physically even possible? All I had heard was the last part of the broadcast that summed up this guy running from Charleston, SC to NYC. What for? Was this guy an Idiot? I knew there had to be a cause. I was right.
 Parkinson's Disease was not close to my world personally. But once I threw the link on my facebook wall, I got several private messages asking me to holler and cheer on James for them too. I realized, in those moments, that sometimes we forget EVERYbody is fighting a battle of some sort. Some fight for cancer, some for diabetes, and some for Parkinson's. Now Parkinson's is part of my world, because people shared what the disease has done to their family. And since it's now part of my world, I felt the need to represent in the best way I know how. Cheering!!
 I made some most excellent posters, if I do say so myself. One poster exclaimed, "When your legs get tired, Run with your Heart." My other was a mile marker. "MILE 13.35 ONLY 965.65 TO GO!"
 I grabbed a pal, we went down to the road from my place to sit by the road and wait...patiently. I had estimated if it started at 10:30ish that James and Crew (Gene) would be coming up the road around 1:30ish. I was warned thru facebook that I was slightly ahead of their schedule. Gonna be a little later. Whatever, we went out there at 1:45ish and waited. And waited. And waaaaaited. 
 I checked facebook to see if there were any updates. I was wanting to jump in on the run for at least a little way. Even if it was just to show support and cut up the monotony. At 4 o'clock, I couldn't take it anymore and asked my pal to run me up the road to see if we could find them. Besides, that would be the perfect run with them...I'd basically be running home, and so we did. We found them a couple miles down and circled back. I practically jumped from the car because the light was turning green again, but I made it without injury. Excellent, now to introduce myself!  I had the opportunity to hear, in the moments of his long run, exactly why he was doing this. I was also filled in on why he was so darn late. There's a lot of updating and pic taking and documenting going on along the route. Each mile that is "bought" is owned by special people who get a sincere shout out from James. He doesn't claim this is going to be easy, but neither is Parkinson's Disease which has affected him and his entire family. Very humble, but determined, is how I would describe James. 
 I enjoyed the 1.48 miles I had with James and Gene. I came armed with running jokes just to make them both smile. I wanted to be a encouraging light, with a bright side for both of them. 1000 miles is a lot of time with ones thoughts and if even ONE of my jokes helps James move a lil bit further, then my job here is done. 
 My lower leg was aching after this morning's run and after throwing more mileage on it this afternoon, it's really mad at me. But that's ok. I will rest tonite and then I will tinotridemosbur and see how it feels in the morning. Two miles ain't nothing...I'll walk it if I have to.


Oh and for us younger folk who seem to think that Parkinson's is an "old persons" disease....Watch the movie "Love and Other Drugs" with Anne Hathaway. It will smack you in the face with the reality of how many lives this is touching. Young, old, in-between...

No comments:

Post a Comment